BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday 30 June 2010

World Cup So Far

So now we know the quarter-final line up.  We have Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Ghana, Holland, Paraguay, Spain and Uruguay.  Looking at the matches so far I have been far from impressed with it as a whole.

Even though the officials have got most decisions right I have felt they have been rather whistle happy and a lot of unnecessary booking.  The games themselves haven't been to the level I thought they would be and its all been a little but defensive.

Now we are down to the final 8 I am hoping this is when the quality finally shines through.  We have some games which I might struggle to watch (but we all know I will) like Uruguay v Ghana and Paraguay v Spain but its the other two matches that catch the eye.  Holland v Brazil will be a colourful affair and then there is Argentina v Germany.

They have met at the later stages of the World Cup with the most famous meetings being in 1986 where a Maradona inspired Argentine beat the then West Germany 3-2 but in 1990 the World Cup final was a dire affair. 2 Argentine players dismissed, niggly and decided by a dubious Andreas Brehme penalty but I think this will be a game to remember.

Their have been a few negatives, the Vuvuzeals's ruining the match atmosphere, Frank Lampard goal that wasn't, Tevez disallowed goal that wasn't and also, I feel there has been a lot of simulation.  Kaka should never have been dismissed and also in the group stages Miroslav Klose was very unfairly dismissed.

At the start of the tournament I thought Spain was going to win the World Cup, I will stick with my prediction but if I could change it, I will say Germany could be the new team to beat.

What do the bookies think?  Well here's their pre-tournament odds and their current odds

Argentina 9/1 now 9/2
Brazil 5/1 now 5/2f
Germany 15/2 now 15/2
Ghana 66/1 now 40/1
Holland 14/1 now 15/2
Paraguay 50/1 now 50/1
Spain 4/1 now 3/1
Uruguay 100/1 now 18/1

0 comments: